Big Dutchman’s plastic floor systems meet the high demands for hygienic and welfare-friendly pig housing. Sows and piglets have different requirements regarding thermal conduction and heat storage. A combination of different slats should therefore be used for the floors in farrowing pens. Cast iron slats ensure a cool lying area for the sow while heating plates are ideal to warm the piglets.
For any pen design and size
The extensive Big Dutchman product range includes the following options:
- slats made of high-quality plastic material, available in different sizes and with different solid-to-void ratios;
- cast iron slats, open or with small solidto-void ratios;
- heating plates made of polymer concrete or plastic;
- support bars made of galvanized steel, stainless steel or GRP.
Big Dutchman floor systems allow faeces to slip through the voids easily, do not have any sharp corners or edges and are easy to clean.
Heating plates create optimal temperatures in the piglets’ lying area. The Big Dutchman product range includes heating plates of different materials and sizes. They can easily be integrated into the floor system. Heating plates can be made of:
- plastic, ensuring an even heat distribution because they are filled with water;
- high-quality polymer concrete, with a well-structured profile and heated by hot-water pipes or heating wires;
- PVC plates for laying on top of existing slats; these electric heating plates consume little energy because a heating foil is used instead of heating wires.
Animal-friendly and easy to mount
The slats are mounted easily and quickly. They interlock perfectly, thus ensuring a high stability of the floor system. All plastic slats can also be precisely cut every 10 cm to fit the required dimensions. Heating plates can be integrated without problems.
Big Dutchman’s flexible and modular system makes it possible to fit virtually any pen shape and size. Both the plastic and the cast iron slats offered by Big Dutchman have rounded links and are free of burrs, ensuring increased comfort for sows and piglets. The optimum solid-to-void ratio keeps the floor clean.
If necessary, the slats can be lifted even after having been laid. The Big Dutchman plastic slats are, of course, also an excellent choice for piglet rearing pens.